This Grilled Eggplant Focaccia is so fresh and light, perfect for summer!
I absolutely love eggplants, can you tell? 😀 If you came to my kitchen, in any moment of the day, and day of the week and any moth of the year you would always find a few eggplants in my fridge. I just love how something so healthy can be so delicious and so versatile. I use them in pretty much anything: pasta, side dishes, panini (see recipe here) and so on…
You are going to love this focaccia because it’s so light and summery and so easy to make as well. You only need few ingredients that you probably already have at home. I just want to spend a few words about the yeast: I only use fresh yeast, the one you can get from the fridge departement in a supermarket or from a bakery. You could also use dry yeast if this is what you are used to but I have personally tested this recipe with the fresh yeast because that’s what I like using.
The process is really simple: prepare a dough mixing flour, water, yeast, salt and sugar, then leave it to rise for one hour and that’s pretty much it. While the dough is rising you can prepare your toppings: caramelise the onions for few minutes and grill the sliced eggplants. At this point your dough will be ready to go on a try, be topped with the condiments and go in the oven for just 9 minutes at 250 degrees celsius. This is it, really 😀 Very simple, absolutely delicious and so healthy! Just before eating it, I sprinkle some light feta cheese on top of my focaccia, it gives it that beautiful saltiness that complements the sweetness of the eggplants perfectly.
- 150gr White Flour
- 75ml lukewarm Water
- 1tsp Salt
- 1tsp Sugar
- 15gr Fresh Yeast
- 1/2 Eggplant
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 20gr Light Feta Cheese
- Melt the Yeast in 75ml of lukewarm water and mix very well using a tsp until perfectly dissolved. In a deep bowl mix the flour, salt and sugar, add the water (where you dissolved the yeast) and start mixing with your hands.
- When the dough start to come together, transfer it to a clean floured surface and start kniding until the dough appears smooth.
- Transfer the dough in a clean bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave it to rise for 1 hour (I usually grease the bowl with few a drops of olive oil for the dough not to stick).
- Prepare your toppings: Cut an onion in very thin slices and cook on a low heat in a non stick pan with 2 tsp of oil; Cut your eggplant in 1cm slices, toss the slices in some salt and grill them for a few minutes.
- Spred few from of olive oil on your hands and on a 12 inches non stick oven tray. Transfer the dough in the tray and spread it with your hands. Put the toppings on the focaccia and cook at 250 degrees celsius for 9 minutes.
- After taking the focaccia out of the oven, sprinkle the feta cheese on top.
- Enjoy hot or cold :)