This Skinny Brownie Cake is as decadent as any brownie, the only difference is that you are not going to feel guilty after eating it 🙂
Let’s make a statement. I LOVE Brownies, who doesn’t?
At the same time I honestly have to admit that I have never ever baked any traditional brownies. Everytime I look for recipes I always get so scared when I read the amount of butter that goes in it. I can pass on flour, sugar and eggs… but that amount of butter can’t be healthy for anybody, it’s far far more than your body will ever need. So I decided to do few experiments and try and find a way to bake a chocolate cake that could be dense, decadent, chocolatey just like brownies. Well, you have to trust me on this: you will not tell the difference! The trick though, is not to overbake it. I usually bake it at a very low heat too, I bake it at 160 degrees celsius and never more than 30 minutes. This is the rule for me and for my oven, but as you know every oven can be a little bit different, so it’s very important you try and understand your own oven.
The cake itself is very easy. Instead of all that butter I just use 40ml of extravergin olive oil (far far less than the usual 200gr of butter in the common recipes) and no other fattening ingredients apart ftom 1 egg… but we can allow that one egg in a whole cake. You can use semiskimmed milk or skimmed milk, the choice is yours and I can’t see it makes much difference for the final result. I also want to talk about the raw cacao powder that I always use in my recipes ( Raw Cacao Powder (Organic), 16-ounce ). You can’t believe how good this is for you! it’s a real superfood. I find it so satisfying when I bake a cake and I can include an ingredient that is actually good for you but most of all it taste good, after all it’s chocolate! I am still experimenting for the perfect light recipe to bake classic brownies and I’m so excited to say that it will be coming soon ☺. In the main while you can enjoy this gorgeous dense brownie cake with no guilt.
- Flour 100gr
- Light Muscovado Sugar 70gr
- Golden Caster Sugar 50gr
- Extravergin Olive Oil 40ml
- Semi Skimmed Milk 200ml
- 1 Egg
- Raw Cacao Powder 70gr
- White Chocolate 25gr (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- Using an electic mixer, mix the egg and all the sugar untill the mixture looks fluffy and smooth.
- Add to your mixture: raw cocoa, milk, flour 1 spoon at the time and keep mixing.
- Add the baking powder and mix a little more.
- Pour the mixture in a 10 inches non stick cake tin, that you have already brushed with a little butter and flour.
- Bake the cake at 160 degrees celsius for 30 minutes.
- When the cake is cold, you can melt some white chocolate and use it to decorate.