These gorgeous sweet potatoes and peppers stuffed bread rolls are a great idea for a party or for a buffet dinner.
I have used peppers and sweet potatoes to fill these homemade bread rolls but you can use anything you want.. I am already thinking of ham and mushrooms for next time… or radicchio and gorgonzola cheese, ham and hemmental, pepperoni and tomato sauce, and everything you fancy.
I had the idea after baking my Skinny Deep Pan Pizza. I thought that beautiful dough could be certainly used for many more recipes! Every time I start a recipe makeover I often find myself using Fat Free Greek Yoghurt as a substitute for some of the ingredients and it’s really a great dial. It works in cakes, it works in sweet and savoury, it makes every recipe absolutely delicious and it’s actually good for you!
This recipe is for 10 stuffed bread rolls. All you have to do is to prepare your dough, and then you have about 2 hours to choose your filling (as I said, it could be everything and anything). when preparing the actuall rolls, don’t worry if they look very little, they will need some more time to raise once prepared, plus, they keep raising in the oven.
I always like to prepare things like this when I have guests as I can prepare them in advance, in fact these rolls are delicious served hot but also cold (you can even save them and have take them to work for lunch the following day.
- 200gr Flour
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 ½ tbsp Fat free Greek Yoghurt
- 10gr Fresh Yeast
- ½ cup Lukewarm Water
- 1 medium Sweet Potato
- 3 Bell Peppers
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Melt the fresh yeast in ½ cup of lukewarm water and leave a couple of minutes.
- In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt and yogurt. Add the water with the melted yeast and start mixing.
- Transfer on a clean surface covered in white flour and start to knead the dough for a few minutes untill it formes a ball. (you may need a little bit of white flour if the dough is too sticky, as different kinds of flour absorb more or less water).
- Transfer the dough into a clean bowl brushed with a little olive oil (this is really useful for the dough not to stick to the bowl), cover with cling film and leave to raise in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Peel your sweet potato and grate it finely, chop the onion and the bell peppers, cook all the ingredients adding 1 tbsp of olive oil, in a non stick pan for a few minutes untill all the ingredients are cooked.
- After the dough has doubled in size, divide it in 10 little balls, open each balls and stuff with your cooked filling (sweet potato, bell peppers, onion).
- transfer these balls in a non stick tray brushed with a little oil, cover with cling film and leave to raise for 30 minutes.
- Optional. you can brush your bread rolls with a little milk and sprinkle few poppy sedds on top to make them pretty!
- Bake at 180 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 160 degrees and keep baking for 7-10 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold and enjoy :)